Drink milk so you can be strong like your father.

JoeBlack
Short Page
Height: 5'6
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Drink milk so you can be strong like your father.
post #1

I heard this all of my life growing up from my parents and nothing happened. In school I would bother the lunch lady for more milk cartons, ate lots of dairy products and played soccer. Well, nothing happened. No growth spurt. When will they stop telling this lie to kids?

TL;DR Santa, the toothfairy and this are the 3 biggest lies parents tell their children. sad

MrNo1
Short Squire
Height: 5'3
Reactions: 20
Score: 6 | 0
KingCash: 38

Re: Drink milk so you can be strong like your father.
post #2

You can thank the media for this one. I think it was the Milk commercials that were out in the 80s. You can see them on youtube. The people who say it are simple. If your DNA says you're going to be short, you're going to be short.

ateyelevel
Short Page
Height: 0'0
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Re: Drink milk so you can be strong like your father.
post #3

I think it's very important that parent's pay attention to giving their kids proper nutrition, making sure they engage in lots of physical activity to stay fit and having them go for regular health checkups. Outside of that, it is a major error on behalf of the parents to suggest anything about what they should expect to be when they grow up outside of anything that is out of their control.

For example, to say, "You can be a doctor if you study hard" is one thing. But to say something like, "you will be 6'2", or telling a young girl, "you'll be just as curvy as your mom" does a disservice to the child and can cause resentment if they don't "achieve" the ascertaining of those physical traits.