What is up with clothing sizes?

Member
Mr Dixon
Short Prince
Height: 5'6
Location: Dallas, United States
Joined: Mar 13, 2015
Posts: 156
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

What is up with clothing sizes?
post #1

So I noticed that clothing, atleast name brand stuff, is all made to fit a man or woman of a certain height. For women, regular length clothing is for 5'6 to 5'8 and for men regular length is 5'11 to 6'2. If the average height for women is 5'4 and for men is 5'9, why is clothing sizing made longer? I mean this doesn't make sense. I know they offer shorter cuts and even longer cuts, but it makes no sense to go above the average.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Jelly Kelly
Short Princess
Height: 5'0
Location: ..., United States
Joined: Mar 13, 2015
Posts: 134
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #2

I have thought this myself. But what I think is the reasoning is most people wear there clothing slightly long to begin with. Women like the length for heels. Not sure why with men though haha

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Catman
Short Prince
Height: 5'5
Location: Mars, United States
Joined: Mar 01, 2015
Posts: 175
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #3

Could be length like Kelly said but I think they cater to the "ideal" body frame even if the majority of the population doesn't fit their standards.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Dale
Short Prince
Height: 5'7
Location: San Francisco, Albania
Joined: Feb 28, 2015
Posts: 179
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #4

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Dixon

So I noticed that clothing, atleast name brand stuff, is all made to fit a man or woman of a certain height. For women, regular length clothing is for 5'6 to 5'8 and for men regular length is 5'11 to 6'2. If the average height for women is 5'4 and for men is 5'9, why is clothing sizing made longer? I mean this doesn't make sense. I know they offer shorter cuts and even longer cuts, but it makes no sense to go above the average.

Well the average model height are way up there. I think 5'9 for women and 6'2 for men. That might explain it. Who knows. 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
GoKnicks
Short Prince
Height: 5'7
Location: NYC, United States
Joined: Mar 13, 2015
Posts: 148
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #5

Quote:

Originally posted by Jelly Kelly I have thought this myself. But what I think is the reasoning is most people wear there clothing slightly long to begin with. Women like the length for heels. Not sure why with men though haha

 

I noticed even sizing made for a certain height is still a little long. No one has the exact same weight either so it all changes.  

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Spider
Short Prince
Height: 5'6
Location: San Francisco, United States
Joined: Mar 01, 2015
Posts: 160
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #6

I would go with saying model heights are so tall on average that this is why it is the way it is. I mean I could be wrong but that is my guess. They do model averages, not actual averages of the population.

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
ShortNProud
Short Prince
Height: 5'5
Location: Jersey, United States
Joined: Mar 26, 2015
Posts: 136
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #7

Quote:

Originally posted by Catman Could be length like Kelly said but I think they cater to the "ideal" body frame even if the majority of the population doesn't fit their standards.

 

That is what I was going with. So much of the US is designed to fit taller, thinner people so shorter or fatter people have a hard time. Not just with clothing. 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
SharkApple
Short Princess
Height: 5'1
Location: In a house, United States
Joined: Feb 28, 2015
Posts: 183
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #8

Quote:

Originally posted by ShortNProud

Quote:

Originally posted by Catman Could be length like Kelly said but I think they cater to the "ideal" body frame even if the majority of the population doesn't fit their standards.

 

That is what I was going with. So much of the US is designed to fit taller, thinner people so shorter or fatter people have a hard time. Not just with clothing. 

 

To be fair, There are plenty of sizes in the US alone. I mean there are super tiny sizes, average, slightly above average, larger, ect. I also believe they make the most mediums and larges on clothing and the least smalls and extra smalls. 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Larry
Short Prince
Height: 5'6
Location: Pittsburgh , United States
Joined: Apr 23, 2015
Posts: 111
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #9

I never gave it much thought but it does seem rediculious. I don't know why, maybe because of their higher standards?

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Member
Dark Willow
Short Prince
Height: 5'5
Location: The Moon, United States
Joined: Mar 13, 2015
Posts: 134
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Offline

Re: What is up with clothing sizes?
post #10

Quote:

Originally posted by Larry

I never gave it much thought but it does seem rediculious. I don't know why, maybe because of their higher standards?

 Same here but now it is making me wonder what these standards are. I mean gay men run the fasion industry don't they? 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0