Short Page
Height: 5'5
Reactions: 0
Score: 12 | 0
KingCash: 26

Height Growth
Height obsessed parents injecting their short kids with growth hormone
post #1

Parents with money aren't having it when it comes to the possibility of their sons being 5'4 adults. 

Can't say that I'm surprised that it's happening at that volume. What is surprising is the parents they interviewed wanting to stay anonymous.

TheLastInch
Short Vassal
Height: 5'6
Reactions: 2
Score: 14 | 0
KingCash: 40

Re: Height obsessed parents injecting their short kids with growth hormone
post #2

I remember being very frustrated with my parents for not doing this for me. 

A lot of doctors and journalists say that this practice is 'unethical'.

My answer to this would be to question, especially the women who criticize this practice, how tall their partners are.

Growth hormone is paying for it on the back end. Rejecting shorter men as partners is practicing the same approach on the front end.

They wouldn't want it any other way and the ones saying 'they don't care about height' would be the ones freaking out like the parents in the article, or have their height filters set to 5'11+ on the random dating app.

RhettPaul
Short Lord
Height: 5'6
Reactions: 1792
Score: 26 | 22
KingCash: 50
Badges:

post #3

As always, follow the money. Richer, ambitious parents are always going to pour dollars into anything they can afford to help their kid get ahead.

TinyWizard
Short Squire
Reactions: 20
Score: 7 | 1
KingCash: 23

post #4

I can't say I'm surprised here. Those with means will find a way. 

Back in the day, this therapy was prohibitively expensive and I remember reading about all of the risks involved.

Here were are a few decades later (older millennial) and it's less expensive and still risky. 

Just read the comments on the article. Type II diabetes? Heart problems? No thanks. 

ShortChanged
Short Vassal
Score: 14 | 5
KingCash: 53

post #5

Well, the thing is that society sees short men as a collective as "defective", and to a lesser degree, many parents will see their own kids as such (physical failure). Those parents are heavily considering the social stigma their short men will have to face. There's no denying it. It's on TV, in print and now all over social media for the world to see.

Rather than rally to confront society to change this negative and unnecessary social perception, they'd rather "take the easy way out" and double down at the possible expense of their own child who may experience adverse health problems later in life. It's a screwed up gamble on their point. I'm guessing they figure they'd either be dead or in poor health by the the time their child experiences these possible issues, or that it'd be "better" for them to deal with potential health issues than to deal with a constant social stigma in all aspects of their social and work lives.

joshbaskins
Short Knight
Height: 5'7
Score: 32 | 8
KingCash: 109

post #6

Curious if this is like LL where though you are able to get taller with it, your gene expression remains the same, meaning, you could still have shorter offspring. 

TheMog
Short Lord
Height: 5'4
Reactions: 14336
Score: 21 | 9
KingCash: 104

post #7

Knowing what we all know I can't imagine this not crossing the mind of those on here who have sons who are projected to be much shorter than average. 

AuthenticDragon
Short Page
Score: 12 | 0
KingCash: 26

post #8

Quote:

Originally posted by TheMog

Knowing what we all know I can't imagine this not crossing the mind of those on here who have sons who are projected to be much shorter than average. 

Dude, I know grown men who are still mad at parents for things that happened during their childhood like divorce. I would be devastated if my offspring developed health problems directly as a result to this. I think I'm correct in my thinking that the resenment they would have toward me because of something like this would be far greater than the resentment of me not doing this.

ChuckChill
Short Lord
Score: 51 | 2
KingCash: 157

post #9

What's crazy is, if this is getting press, can you imagine how often this happens? Wealthier families statistically have taller offspring. Things that make you go "hmmmm". Are heights artificially inflated? Especially when you think about how everyone is always commenting on how "tall people are getting"?