Height: 0'0
Reactions: 0
Score: 0 | 0
KingCash: 0

Introductions
New here ... Looking for support
post #1

Hello short guys. 

Im 48 years old and am 5' 5". I have gotten depressed lately about my height after a *bleep* insulted me in front of my girlfriend in a bar saying "is she with you?? No way!!" And laughing to his friends. He was like 6' 5" and it was obviously an insult about my height.  I just calmy said "yes she is" and walked by but it through me off that night and all night I was insecure about my height and what people were thinking. It really is a helpless feeling. I started feeling insecure with my girlfriend but played it off. I started comparing my height to all others, men and woman, and found most men towered over me, and most woman were taller as well in heels. I literally felt like I was standing in a hole and everyone was looking down on me (figuratively and literally). Its been three days and I cant shake this feeling. 

Anyone else feel like this and how can I learn to get over feeling insecure about my height? 

Thanks for any thoughts.

Administrator
admin
Short Knight
Height: 5'7
Score: 37 | 44
KingCash: 204

Re: New here ... Looking for support
post #2

Hi MrPro1! Welcome to ShortGuyCentral. I'm very happy that you joined our community here. It's the first and largest site dedicated to short men online. Feel free to chat with anyone here and look out for newsletter. It is a pleasure having you on our site. 

captainjack987
Short Vassal
Height: 5'5
KingCash: 2

post #3

Quote:

Originally posted by mrpro1

Hello short guys. 

Im 48 years old and am 5' 5". I have gotten depressed lately about my height after a *bleep* insulted me in front of my girlfriend in a bar saying "is she with you?? No way!!" And laughing to his friends. He was like 6' 5" and it was obviously an insult about my height.  I just calmy said "yes she is" and walked by but it through me off that night and all night I was insecure about my height and what people were thinking. It really is a helpless feeling. I started feeling insecure with my girlfriend but played it off. I started comparing my height to all others, men and woman, and found most men towered over me, and most woman were taller as well in heels. I literally felt like I was standing in a hole and everyone was looking down on me (figuratively and literally). Its been three days and I cant shake this feeling. 

Anyone else feel like this and how can I learn to get over feeling insecure about my height? 

Thanks for any thoughts.

I see how that would get under my skin, but at 48? I'm younger than you, but clearly this guy has a major insecurity issues. Why at 6'5 would he need to get in some guy's face, a man a foot shorter just to shoot off at the mouth? Maybe because he thought "damn, how could he get her while I'm walking solo".

He'd never admit it, but the guy is jelly lol

mrpro1
Cadet
Height: 0'0

post #4

Quote:

Originally posted by captainjack987

Quote:

Originally posted by mrpro1

Hello short guys. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

I see how that would get under my skin, but at 48? I'm younger than you, but clearly this guy has a major insecurity issues. Why at 6'5 would he need to get in some guy's face, a man a foot shorter just to shoot off at the mouth? Maybe because he thought "damn, how could he get her while I'm walking solo".

He'd never admit it, but the guy is jelly lol

Age doesnt really matter if you have pride in yourself.  Its just the idea that some people look down on you or me because of height. They think they are better than you and that perception is real if you ask many men and especially woman. I know its not true but the fact that others preceive it to be makes it hard to ignore. The guy certainly had issues and my 34 year old girlfriend is very beautiful but it doesnt change the fact that others in the same bar are also thinking the same way. Thats what gets me feeling insecure, that there are people that think less of me because I am short. I can think Im the greatest in the world but it wont make them think different and it might even make them think im "over compensating". I competed at the very highest levels of golf and I still KNOW that people look down on me just because Im short. It tiring. Damn tiring.

gymshorts
Short Squire
Height: 5'4

post #5

Hello, and welcome. I am new to the group, too.  If nothing else, it's the one place where we can talk openly and share our frustrations and grief with the only people who really understand the challenge and the constant emotional pain of not being tall enough.  I't a decade older than you, and only 5'4", so I can relate to exactly how you feel.  Being around tall men, even if they don't intend to be intimidating, is still uncomfortable and intimidating for guys our size.  I face it every day.  And yes, I often feel bummed for a long time after an encounter like that one.  It's absolutely true that the bully is insecure and gets his jollies out of picking on guys like us.  Realizing that doesn't make it easier for us-- we still have to bear the pain, suffer the indignation, wipe ourselves off, and go forward.  

That's where this group comes in-- we can at least empathize with some other guy who has to endure this sort of thing.  I am tired of trying to explain the problem to my wife (who cares but can't figure it out and is tired of hearing it), my friends (who are all normal size and clueless), or anyone else, really.  Unless you are a short guy stuck for life in a world in which tall men have the obvious physical advantage, you don't get it.

Let's support each other.  

ThatFlyShortGuy
Short Baron
Height: 5'7
Reactions: 44
Score: 10 | 3
KingCash: 62

post #6

Quote:

Originally posted by gymshorts

Hello, and welcome. I am new to the group, too.  If nothing else, it's the one place where we can talk openly and share our frustrations and grief with the only people who really understand the challenge and the constant emotional pain of not being tall enough.  I't a decade older than you, and only 5'4", so I can relate to exactly how you feel.  Being around tall men, even if they don't intend to be intimidating, is still uncomfortable and intimidating for guys our size.  I face it every day.  And yes, I often feel bummed for a long time after an encounter like that one.  It's absolutely true that the bully is insecure and gets his jollies out of picking on guys like us.  Realizing that doesn't make it easier for us-- we still have to bear the pain, suffer the indignation, wipe ourselves off, and go forward.  

That's where this group comes in-- we can at least empathize with some other guy who has to endure this sort of thing.  I am tired of trying to explain the problem to my wife (who cares but can't figure it out and is tired of hearing it), my friends (who are all normal size and clueless), or anyone else, really.  Unless you are a short guy stuck for life in a world in which tall men have the obvious physical advantage, you don't get it.

Welcome to the forum GymShorts. What made you pick that particular name?

gymshorts
Short Squire
Height: 5'4

post #7

Quote:

Originally posted by ThatFlyShortGuy

Quote:

Originally posted by gymshorts

Welcome to the forum GymShorts. What made you pick that particular name?

I enjoy good puns, so I wanted to include short in it, and I was wearing gym shorts the moment when I realized what life would hold for a short guy-- all the limitations and struggles.